Thursday, October 15, 2015

Apple Cinnamon Syrup

In the "Let's Date" video I made, I mentioned a syrup that I put on top of the Date Pancakes. I love it because it's yummy, it is low sugar, and it's something I don't feel terrible about feeding my family. We noticed one day that there was 26 grams of sugar in the 'maple' syrup we were eating, and after my mini-episode-of-cardiac-arrest, I realized we needed to find a healthier option

Pictured over Date Pancakes on the far left
Because I'm such a skilled cook, I just like to eyeball things so I don't have to share my recipes. Just kidding! But seriously, this is a recipe that I kinda just 'do' to personal preference.

1 good sized apple/2 people, or 1 small apple/person
1 1/2-2 cups of water
cinnamon
brown sugar
sliced almonds
shredded coconut
coconut oil
sliced dates (optional)
chia seeds
applesauce

I use an apple slicer to cut the apples, and then slice them into small diced pieces, and throw them in a small pot, with a little coconut oil in the bottom. (I put it on medium-high, and just add everything into the pot on the stove.) 

Because... coconut oil.



Then I sprinkle generously with cinnamon, use a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar, and the water, almonds, sliced dates, chia seeds and shredded coconut. I let it all simmer and marinade together until the pot has been steaming for 10 minutes or so, or until it looks like there might be a cup or so of water left. Then I take it off the stove and put it in my kitchenaide or use a potato masher to mash up the apples some, pour unsweetened apple sauce in until it's a consistency that I like, and then put it over my pancakes, waffles, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment