Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Barter?

My Father-in-law is a successful attorney in Utah, and he trades his services for many a client. In fact, he bartered property, handyman services and craftsman services for a good portion of the house that my husband grew up in. Sure, this might affect the number shown on his bottom line, but the reality is that he gets to have services done that he would be paying someone for anyway.
Bartered for this.

Why the anecdote? Because friends, as a doula, I am happy to barter services for families who either can't afford a doula or who have skills that I am in need of anyway. So often when I mention this, people say something to the effect of, "Well, I don't have any skills or items worth bartering." I highly doubt this is true. Highly.

You have skills worth trading.

I require a portion of the fee be paid to cover my personal costs, like childcare to attend your classes
And this.
or birth. I do believe I am worth every last penny I charge, and I recognize that fee can be a challenge for some people to pay. I believe that everyone deserves a doula at their birth, and I recognize that I will burn out if I don't charge what I am worth, and cover my own expenses. The parents whose births I help prepare them for or get to attend will tell you that I am worth every penny.

Please do not mistake a barter as a handout.

In the past I have accepted trades such as sewing, sanding my cabinets, a Birth Pool in A Box, photography, web design, logo & graphic designs. These were all things that either I was going to have to do myself, or that I was going to have to pay someone to do. That's what makes the trade worthwhile for both parties.



Okay, it isn't THIS pool, but I accepted a barter for a birth pool.
So what kinds of things can be bartered?

Here is a comprehensive list of ideas of things that I would be up for bartering. Different professionals might have a different list or business format that does not allow for this.


  • Sewing
  • Handyman Skills
  • Sanding furniture
  • Painting furniture (but not for the prego mom to do!)
  • Artwork
  • Photography
  • Cleaning
  • Teach me or members of my family skills: Canning, cooking, further my sewing skills, musical skills, yoga, sports, photography, etc.
  • Put together freezer meals
  • Interior Decorating
  • Stripping wallpaper
  • Landscaping
  • Painting
  • Haircuts, lashes, manicures, pedicures, etc.
  • Baking (must have food handler's card and baking must be done in my home)
  • Advertising/PR
  • Run errands/assist me in tasks
  • Experiences
  • Gift Cards
  • Editing text
You are not limited to items on this list. I am open to other barters, but I hope that this helps you see some things that YOU might be able to barter to have the best shot at the birth you want!

Have you ever bartered services? Tell me about it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment